29 Aug 2018 12:00 AM
Category : Career Scope
The study of microscopic organisms that are either single-celled (unicellular), cell colony (multicellular) or acellular (lacking cells) is called microbiology.
SUB-CATEGORIES OF MICROBOLOGY
People who specialize in the field of microbiology are called microbiologists. Those organisms and infectious agents that cannot be seen with naked eyes are studied by microbiologists. Their studies also include study of interactions of microorganisms with humans and other organisms that exist and affect our lives.
SCOPE OF MICROBIOLOGY
Due to advancement in the field of science and technology, the field of microbiology has a vast scope in many fields like:
- Dairy Industry
- Clinical research
- Water Industry
- Chemical Technology
There is a vast opportunity for microbiologists in India and Globally.
BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIRED
Students who have a degree in biology or life sciences can take up microbiology as a career.
JOB OPPORTUNITIES FOR MICROBIOLOGISTS BASED ON QUALIFICATION
1. UNDER GRADUATE DEGREE:
- Science laboratories
- Pathological labs
2. POST GRADUATE DEGREE:
- Work in microbiology based industries like Pharmacy, Dairy, Breweries, Distilleries and Enzyme etc.
3. PhD DEGREE:
- Teaching at universities and PG colleges.
- Post-doctoral research.
GENERAL CAREER SCOPES
- Area of food
- Agro chemistry
- Bio refinery
- Pollution control
- Field of Agriculture as environmental and health specialists to study the role of microbes in plant disease, pest control, nutrition and soil fertility
- Field of medicine and health care
- Researchers and teachers in colleges and Universities.
TOP COLLEGES IN INDIA
Sardar Patel University
TOP COLLEGES IN ABROAD
University of California – Berkeley
University of Wisconsin - Madison